In a life without sound, our work provides meaning. As the world’s leading hearing care provider, we are not just a company that makes products: we are a team on a mission to help people enjoy the delight of hearing. To enable a life without limitations, we – through our core brands Phonak, Unitron, Hansaton, Advanced Bionics and AudioNova – develop, manufacture and distribute solutions that push the limits of technology and redefine the future of our industry.
Ear anatomy and wearing comfort engineer
In this newly created position you will contribute to increase the perceptional dimension of wearing comfort for medical and non-medical hearing systems. Wearing comfort is one of the decisive factors defining the user experience of body worn products. Properties like the anatomical fit, mechanical design and materialization are of key relevance. With the advent of body worn products, wearing comfort got an emerging field of expertise involving interdisciplinary skills in engineering like product design and materials as well as data science and statistical analysis.
In this position you will work cross-site in the product development team of the newly founded Consumer Hearing Business in Murten (Switzerland) and in the R&D department of the Hearing Aid Business in Stäfa (Switzerland). The primary location is favorably Stäfa and optionally Murten, with occasional travelling between these two sites.
We are looking for a skilled Engineer in Applied Science, having a solid background in one or more of the relevant disciplines and who is highly motivated to expand his knowledge into other disciplines relevant for improving the wearing comfort of our products.
- Increase wearing comfort of hearing systems in iterative design and evaluation steps
- Perform statistical data analysis of the ear anatomy
- Develop methods and prototypes to be used in studies and in lab-based investigations
- Transfer the findings from statistical data analysis and studies to the product design
- Contribute to the materialization concept for hearing systems
- Conduct studies on models and with users evaluating the impact of product design on wearing comfort
- Cross-site collaboration with experts in mechanical engineering, ear anatomy and wearing comfort in Stäfa and Murten
- Master’s degree or Ph.D. in Applied Sciences (e.g. Biomechanics, Materials, Mechanical Engineering, Physics)
- Experience in the development of body worn products for medical or non-medical applications in an industrial environment
- Knowledge in product design, ideally in relation with wearing comfort and materials engineering
- Good spatial sense and comprehension of technical and geometrical concepts
- Experienced in programming languages Matlab and/or Python.
- Experienced in statistical analysis (e.g. principal component analysis)
- Motivated to explore the perceptional dimension of wearing comfort and to learn methods of psychophysics
- Ability to collaborate with internal and external partners and to work in a highly interdisciplinary field
- Willingness to travel between Stäfa and Murten on an occasional basis according to the project demand (once a month to once a week)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English; German and/or French are a plus
We can offer you a new challenge, with interesting tasks and much more – including an open corporate culture, flat hierarchies, support for further training and development, opportunities to take on responsibility, an excellent range of foods, sports and cultural facilities, attractive employment conditions, and flexible working time models in various roles.
Daryl Alther, Talent Acquisition Manager, is looking forward to receiving your complete application (CV, references and certificates) via our online job application platform.
For this vacancy only direct applications will be considered.
+41 58 928 01 01
Sonova is an equal opportunity employer.
We team up. We grow talent. We collaborate with people of diverse backgrounds to win with the best team in the market place. We guarantee every person equal treatment in regard to employment and opportunity for employment, regardless of a candidate’s ethnic or national origin, religion, sexual orientation or marital status, gender, genetic identity, age, disability or any other legally protected status.
- Sonova AG