IP Services Lead
Location: Vevey, Switzerland
Company: Société des Produits Nestlé
Type of contract: Permanent
Act. Rate: Full-Time, 100%
Legal R&D, part of the Nestlé Group Legal & Compliance function, is the legal and IP business partner for Nestlé R&D globally. Legal R&D is accountable for driving and implementing the IP strategy for Nestlé R&D, enabling and protecting through pragmatic legal services and business-driven IP protection.
As IP Services Lead, you will be responsible for the patent paralegals and IP analytics function in Legal R&D as well as for its patent management system. You will be responsible for a team of patent paralegals and have end-to-end accountability for patent formalities procedures across all phases and patent offices for Nestlé’s patent portfolio. You will proactively provision IP analytics, search and IP-based competitive intelligence services to Nestlé through a team of IP analytics, in particular to the Legal R&D patent counsels’ function and implement and enable new ways of working within Legal R&D as well as in R&D, through a pragmatic acceleration of services.
A day in the life of an IP Services Lead
- Lead and manage a team of patent paralegals, IP analysts and patent management system experts reinforcing a culture of service, innovation, efficiency and speed.
- Ensure docketing and deadline management as well as formalities for procedures before regional and national patent offices throughout the lifecycle of Nestlé’s patent rights
- Ensure management of formalities procedures with outside counsels.
- Deliver on time required patentability, FTO and invalidation searches as well as business-relevant IP landscapes and analysis.
- Ensure efficient access to state-of-the art patent information databases, including solutions for access to foreign language databases.
- Identify, select and implement new electronic processes and technical IP analytics solutions to accelerate and/or increase the value-add of paralegals and patent information to Nestlé (data mining, AI, correlation with other data sources).
- Identify and implement procedural opportunities and new business intelligence opportunities leveraging IP databases.
- Operate, and ensure quality assurance and continuous improvement for Nestlé’s patent management system and optimization for efficient use by experts and non-experts
- Integrate Legal R&D KPI’s and business alignment into patent management for ease of management and access/extraction.
- Train, develop and lead a team of in-house qualified paralegals and IP analytics professionals, as well as in-sourced resources from third party service providers.
- Manage vendors for all the above services and continuous monitoring and identification of potential vendors, to maintain optimal price and quality for Nestlé and leverage new technological opportunities.
- Manage cost and invoicing in close collaboration with Nestlé Group Legal & Compliance Financial Controller.
What will make you successful
- Technical or scientific education, or a legal or patent paralegal qualification.
- 10+ years professional experience in either patent procedures or IP analytics, preferably with prior experience in both areas.
- Proven knowledge of and experience with patent procedures in a relevant jurisdiction
- Proven experience in team management and leadership
- Service orientated with leadership skills and ability to communicate complex analysis and processes in a clear actionable and business-relevant way
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects and effectively manage priorities to meet tight deadlines
- Technology-savvy, curious for innovative uses of IP information and procedural tools and ability to implement new processes and tools
- Fluent in English, any other language is an asset
Avenue Nestlé 55 1800 Vevey