Medical Data Advisor – Médecins Sans Frontières Suisse
Medical Data Advisor – Médecins Sans Frontières Suisse
The medical data advisor will be responsible for supporting operations and the medical department in MSF OCG on all issues related to medical data collection, compilation, analysis and presentation. Under the supervision of the Deputy Medical Director, the incumbent will coordinate the management, maintenance and evolution of the Health Information Systems (HIS) and support to field teams to ensure proficient use of the system across the organization.
The necessity of epidemiologically sound, statistically valid medical data for field decision making is a crucial component of medical-humanitarian response, this objective is yet to be truly tackled. In many settings, acquisition of this data is difficult logistically and technically.
The HIS project was created to develop and deploy the content of the intersectionally used tool – DHIS2. The tool has been deployed in all OCG missions except Myanmar and Somalia. Field teams are now using the new medical data tool with standardized data collection methods, entry, storage, and analytics/visuals.
The medical data advisor position core responsibility is the management and maintenance as well as remote implementation for new projects and projects who request. In order to ensure a common ground for discussions the typology and taxonomy are 2 tools, that need to be constantly maintained and updated by the position.
Epidemiology and medical data management
- Promote the vision of medical department in the field of medical epidemiology and data management.
- Provide epidemiology capacity to advisors in the medical department on different thematic programmes.
- Provide medical data management capacity to medical department, medical operational and field staff on different thematic programmes.
- Coordinate with the learning and development unit in the preparation of regional training and integration of training tools and presentation in already existing training curricula.
- Manage the production and updating of training materials for all major evolutions in the system
- Execute field visits to coach and advises field staff on medical data management issues as requested and prioritized.
- Work towards harmonization and standardization of data both at OCG and MSF level.
- Identify opportunities to strengthen monitoring systems and improve data quality.
- Help in the process of international medical data consolidation.
- Undergo the revision of typology and taxonomy with advisors in the medical department.
- Create and maintain dashboards according to project needs and reporting requirements.
- Participate in the production of the annual report by providing consolidated data.
HIS Tool management & maintenance
- Oversee and manage DHIS2 provider (BAO systems) fund and budget (follow-up, support, development and hosting).
- Support the formulation and execution of the technical aspects of the HMIS, implementation, and maintenance.
- Oversee identifying and selecting indicators and variables to be employed by the HIS system in coordination with medical operational staff and medical department.
- Follow up with the team at HQ and mission on data quality, data quality assessment procedures
- Organize the annual revision of the DHIS2 content in cooperation with IT and medical department.
- Evaluate new features and applications available within DHIS2 platform.
- Manage new requirements/ requests from the field and HQ to find solutions.
- Work closely with IT toward prioritization and planning of major upgrades.
- Ensure adequate collaboration with other section’s representatives (mutualization, sharing experience and tools).
HIS Tool Implementation
- Organize and support implementation of DHIS2 tool in the field according to agreed plans.
- Provide support on technical issues to staff in HQ and field
- Engage in briefing of field staff to ensure the tool is known.
- Supports the training/refresher training of HQ team on the tool.
HIS Tool Troubleshooting
- Along with field and HQ HIS-related staff, provides high-level assistance needed throughout all missions.
- Actively participates to team meetings to follow-up on identified issues and their resolution.
- Additional administrative tasks performed as needed.
- Has a general understanding of the association, its functioning, structure and values (charter).
- Is aware of MSF’s objectives and activities in general and in the working context.
Co-operation with other departments
- Able to communicate daily, weekly, and monthly deliverables to steering committee, operations department, and others TBD
- Advanced university degree (minimum a master’s degree) in public health, epidemiology, biostatistics or related field
- Medical or paramedical background preferred
- Minimum 2-3 years field experience with MSF or a similar organization very desirable
- Professional technical expertise in the principles of health information system design and implementation, maintenance, statistics, and epidemiological analysis
- Knowledge of IT systems, including data security & storage protocol desirable.
- Good working knowledge of Medical Data Software (DHIS2, OpenMRS, etc…).
- Knowledge of international disease classifications and terminologies (ICD11, Snomed…)
- Other medical data management experience in western or non-humanitarian settings a plus.
- Able to set realistic deadlines and achieve deliverables by set deadlines.
- ability to work under stress and deadline pressure.
- Autonomy in the given tasks.
- Ability to work with multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural persons.
- good communication skills.
- ability to listen.
- ability to build consensus.
- Able to accomplish tasks within the MSF project framework.
- Collaborative spirit
- Team spirit
- Fluent English
- Fluent French
Terms of Employment
- Open-ended contract, 100%
- Based in Geneva
- Starting date: 1st February 2021
- Gross annual salary: from CHF 98’016.- to CHF 111’732.- (salary commensurate with experience and according to internal salary grid)
The applications will be treated confidentially.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Médecins Sans Frontières / Ärzte Ohne Grenzen
Rue de Lausanne 78